Thursday, September 4, 1997

Dad - getting pulled over

My dad always had the strangest response to getting pulled over. I can remember him being pulled over by the police several times while growing up. Now first of all, I would have to say my dad is a great driver, my mom is for that matter too. My dad probably isn't the most responsible driver by the book, but he always managed it well, hasn't been in an accident that I know of.

I'll get to his typical response in a moment, but a quick lead in story first. My dad had picked me up from MATHcounts, an after school Math club/program that I was offered to start way too late in life. He's driving us home, probably had other things to do, maybe even someone else to pick up later, who knows. He's speeding, not excessive, but over the speed limit. Now, speed limits are typically just a suggestion in town, but whatever. I'm in the front passenger seat explaining some interesting math problem that I just learned about, when all of sudden, my dad snatches the papers out of my and seems really interested. Don't get me wrong, my dad always did a good job of being interested, he always likes numbers and math problems. He grabs the papers from me, and starts asking me questions about the problem. Then I notice that a police offer is behind us with his lights on. 

Here's where my dad's usual response to getting pulled over shows up. He pulls over, stops the car, and immediately jumps out of the car. He starts calmly walking back towards the officer's car. 

Since he was always out of the car, I never really got to experience the discussion with an officer, but I would almost always ask. Understandably this would make the officer quite nervous at first, and I believe an officer pulled his gun out one time. In this case, my dad noticed the officer while driving, knew he was speeding, and immediately grabbed the math papers to look like he was involved and overwhelmed by me and all of the other things he was keeping up with hat day. So he tells me that he explains to the officer that he was very busy that day, and just wasn't paying attention to his speed at that time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment