600 minutes = 10 hours
I just realized that I know this simple conversion not because of its simplicity in the base 60 unit of minutes to hours, but because of some school reading program requirement. The requirement and reward system was designed around 600 minutes of reading. This seemed like an astronomical amount of time reading, seeing as I find it hard to sit down and read a book for any length of time.
My parents very simply broke it down into 10 x 1 hour reading sessions, or 20 x 30 minute reading sessions.
So because of this huge goal/milestone/achievement in reading for a total of 600 minutes, I now can easily convert 600 minutes to 10 hours without doing the (possibly even simpler) math of 600 minutes / 60 minutes/hour to get 10 hours.
I just find it fascinating that I have this number/conversion burned into memory as just a hard fact (directly associated with this reading requirement), and not simply doing some simple math of 10 hours x 60 minutes = 600 minutes.
No comments:
Post a Comment