When I was growing up the Internet had not quite blossomed yet. Around the age of 11 or so, talking to friends on the phone was all the rage. It was definitely most popular for my sister, but it was so much of past time that my parents bought a second phone line. By this point, there was literally a phone in every room of our house. I already had a strong interest in technology, but I had no concept of this fascination. Soon after, I ended up purchasing my own black cordless phone. Now as you know, I'm very particular about how and where I spend my money, so it took me some time to research prices and features of cordless phones.
My phone had a sweet backlit LCD on the back of the handset, so while it was facedown on the charger it would still display incoming caller ID. It had 2 bases so I could charge it on the other side of the room.
That pacified my tech interest for a few years until the Internet really started to take off. Then talking to friends online became all the rage, at least for me at this point. I started researching to purchase essentially a simple PC that connects to the TV and the Internet with a wireless keyboard. Now, wireless keyboards just didn't exist at this point. There was no reason to have a wireless keyboard on a desk right next to your desktop PC. Because of my frugality, I could never quite justify paying a couple hundred dollars just to browse and chat online through my TV.
It didn't take long before I purchased my own VCR, Nintendo 64, 5 disc DVD surround sound system. The list goes on, but that was the start. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment